Overhaul of the Biosecurity Act 1993: invitation to attend a workshop discussion
MPI is leading a forward-looking and strategic overhaul of the Biosecurity Act 1993. This overhaul will focus on ensuring the regulatory settings are appropriate and the Act remains future focussed in light of emerging challenges and opportunities.
Over the coming months, they will be holding a number of meetings and workshops across New Zealand to help them understand the diverse priorities and interests of the participants in the biosecurity system.
MPI would like to invite you to participate in a workshop to discuss the overhaul of the Biosecurity Act 1993 to help them understand a range of perspectives from across the system.
What will the workshops cover?
The workshops will consist of a number of interactive group sessions throughout the day, these will be focussed on the key areas of the overhaul. The key focus areas for the overhaul include:
- A purpose statement and principles to guide decision-making under the Act;
- The relationship between Te Ao Māori and the biosecurity regulatory framework;
- Roles and responsibilities across the biosecurity system;
- Funding for the biosecurity system;
- The setting of import requirements; and
- Compliance, enforcement and incentives.
Aim of the workshops
The aim of the workshops are to work with you to:
- Discuss and test initial thinking of the objectives for each focus area; and
- Understand the diverse priorities and perspectives of all participants in the biosecurity system.
MPI will circulate further information and an agenda 1 week prior to the first workshop.
When and where will the workshops be held?
2 August, Tauranga 9.00am – 4.30pm, venue TBC.
Lunch and light refreshments will be provided.
Who else has been invited?
MPI has invited biosecurity participants with a range of interests that span across the system. These include; Māori, primary industry organisations, regional councils, environmental organisations and science organisations.
Please RSVP by email by Wednesday 19 June 2019 with:
- The names of the people representing your organisation;
- The location of the workshop which you will attend; and
- Indicate any dietary requirements.
Other chances to provide input
If you can’t come along and would still like to be involved in the overhaul, please let MPI know. There will be other opportunities to get involved and have your say.
If you have any questions about the workshops, or about the overhaul of the act, please email us and they will get back to you.
We look forward to seeing you at one of the workshops.